Had ecoli prostatitis and mild bph. Found enterococcus faecalis in semen. Is amoxicillin safe?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: I have enterococcus faecalis in semen culture sens to ampicillin. Had ecoli prostatitis in past and mild bph . Only symptom now is penile odor despite bathing well . Is amoxicillin ok for this with a four week course . Urine culture is negative. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Dear Sir,

Amoxicillin is good for enterococcus. However, there is a good possibility that your penile odor is not because of growth in semen culture. Trying changing your diet for few days and see what happens. I shall also be interested to know whether you are taking any multivitamins.

Do write back for further discussion on this.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 41 minutes later
Will I get good antibiotic penetration into prostate tissue with amoxicillin since literature states maybe not? As for the odor it can permeate the room I'm in. Besides diet could this infection cause such an odor ?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 24 minutes later
Dear sir,

Semen is lot different from prostate. Usually the infection is in seminal vesicles rather than prostate and it shall penetrate there well. No specific diet causes odor but a lot of times change of diet helps.

Sincerely

Rajiv goel
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later
Etiology of seminal vesicle infection?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 6 hours later
Dear Sir,

Very difficult to point out. It is usually believed to be blood borne.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel