Had ear infection and feeling dizzy while laying down. What's going on?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: my daughter is feeling dizzy when she lays down. she has had ear infections but not recently.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Though you have given a description of the illness you have not mentioned her blood pressure readings or any other symptoms. One can have postural hypotension but the feeling of dizziness appears when a person gets up from lying down.

Post ear infections one can have labrynthitis (inflammation of the balancing organs in the middle ear) which can cause dizziness. However the dizziness is present in all positions and not when lying down.

I suggest you show your daughter to a doctor who shall do a clinical examination and guide you accordingly.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 minutes later
dont know blood pressure but she had no other symptoms but getting dizzy when she would lay down
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 minutes later

Thank you for the update. As I suggested earlier it shall be better to consult your doctor who shall do a clinical examination and guide you accordingly.

I hope I have responded to your satisfaction.

RKK