Owl Image

Had depo shot and having prolong menstrual bleeding. What is going on?

Owl Image
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Question
i had 1 depo shot and i was due to get the next on on 10 October which i chose not to do. I have been having menstrual bleeding for nearly 4 weeks and it smells quite bad, can you tell me what this is?
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
You are having heavy and prolonged vaginal bleeding,a menstrual disorder called Menorrhagia.
There are many cause for having such heavy bleeding commonest being:-
-Female hormone imbalance,
-Uterine fibroids,
-Disorders of the uterine lining,
-Uterine,ovarian or cervical cancer,
-Hypothyroidism,
-Endometrial hyperplasia,
-Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, to name a few.
You might consult your OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.