Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Had complete hysterectomy due to enometriosis. Was on Premarin, sex is extremely painful due to thinning of skin

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
Im 45 and had a complete htster when i was 28 due to terrible endometrisys. After premarin for 10 years iwent off it. No hot flashes anylonger seemed fine. The past few years sex is extremely painful due to thinning of the skin also the skin on the outside is also "slightly growing together"! This is really freaking me out and my ob put me on estrace cream over a year ago, no change. Is there anything else i should be doing or could do to help this? How long will this cream take to work? My ob said about 6 months... Id like to have sex again without 2 days of recovery and carrying a small suitcase of lubricants around. I am married to the same " very understanding" man for 20 years now but we should be having fun.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It does take around 6 months

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
After total hysterectomy, there is frequent hormonal disturbance. A dry vagina with painful sex is cause of this problem. At age of 45 years I understand that it will be difficult to handle but these issues take some time. Your OBS specialist has prescribed you estrace cream and that is a right decision. These creams generally take 6-8 months for showing its effects and it is not a regular lubricant which will show its effect soon. So may be you need to be patient. You should liberally use the lubricants when required. Even your partner can use lubricated condoms so that you people have some fun.
Not many options are available for this problem.
Atleast you are lucky to have an understanding husband!
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor