Had complete hysterectomy. Having excessive vaginal discharge. Suggestions

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am 70 yrs old, had a complete hysterectomy at age 34, and am lately having excessive mucus vaginal discharge. I have no other symptoms. Any suggestions? I am in good health.
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Phsical examination, culture of discharge, USG Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, In case the hysterectomy was a total hysterectomy, the discharge should certainly not be of cervical or uterine origin. Excessive vaginal mucus discharge needs keen attention. Other aspects like odor and color of the discharge are important. It is important to know whether you experience other symptoms like itches or not. Conditions like drugs, pelvic inflammatory disease, vaginal atrophy due to hormonal deficiency, diabetes and yeast infections are common causes to be considered. An examination of the discharge and culture could be very important. I suggest you consult a doctor for a complete clinical review and appropriate laboratory test. Based n findings upon physical examination, an abdominal ultrasound could be asked. It is not rare for reports to indicate complete or total hysterectomies meanwhile parts of the uterus like the cervix were left out. A clinical evaluation therefore remains very compelling. Thanks as I wish you good health. Feel free asking any follow up questions in case of need. Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T