Had chest x-ray. What are the findings in the report?

Dr. Satyadeo Choubey

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi, im 31 years old and heavy smoker..i just had my chest xray results memtioning the following: Prominemt hilar shadows more to the left with mild bilateral hilar congestion and with accentuation of lung markings more at the lower zones. Is it serious?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get few tests done and quit smoking Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. Hilum is the point from where the airways and blood vessels enter the lung. Usually it becomes prominent on chest x-ray due to enlargement of a nearby structure called hilar lymph node. Hilar lymph node enlargement may be due to infections like tuberculosis, diseases like sarcoidosis, and sometimes cancers too which is less possible at your age.... Accentuation of the lung marking may be attributable to your smoking habits or to ongoing disease process. At this juncture I will advise you to go for a CT scan of chest, a sputum examination for acid fast bacilli and tuberculin skin test.....These tests are readily available with a chest specialists. And at last, do quit smoking...you may attain a smoking cessation clinic and may use nicotine gums initially.... Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 12 minutes later
Hi dr, I need to mention that i did the xray test 3 days after recovery from hard flu..is there any relation with the results especially that i used to do the chest xray and it usually shows normal results... I 'd mention below the rest of the results if it may help: No pulmonary nodular lesion or definite consolidation patch could be detected at either ling, in this examination. Clear costophorenic angles. Cardiac shadow is not enlarged in its transverse diameter. Please tell me if its serious or may be related to flu or smoking.. I mean , is it normal for smokers to have such results?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: present x-ray finding can be due to flu Detailed Answer: Thanks for follow up, The second result you have mentioned is absolutely normal. Considering the serial x-ray, present finding can be attributed to flu. So just take another x-ray after 15-20 days. If it says normal, then there is nothing to worry,,.,,,, But try to quit smoking.. Regards