Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Had catheter ablation for afib. Started pain while having sex. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 356 Questions
i recently had a catheter ablation for afib, and now when i have sex or ejaculate the pain at the catheter insertion sight increases greatly and feels like the groin muscles really tighten and get sore. Have i tried to retun to normal actvites too soon. My afib prcedure was 10 days ago. The heart is fine, relatively speaking.
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 17 minutes later
Hello sir,

Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is my pleasure to answer you. During catheter ablation procedure, electrophysiologist will put few catheters inside your heart to do ablation and they puncture one vein in groin and vein from neck. Venous puncture will heal fast and relatively safe then artery puncture. Many patients may feel pain or discomfort in groin, and usually it relieves in one to two weeks.

Usually normal activity can be started after 48 hours of uncomplicated procedure, but more physical activity and strenuous activity should be started only after 2 to 4 weeks. In your case, I feel you may have started activity little early.

You can do your routine walking and daily work now. But avoid cross legged sitting, avoid strain while passing motion, and avoid sex for next two weeks. Also check your groin where catheter was inserted, for any swelling or any discharge from the area. If it is there, please consult your cardiologist and follow his advice.

If groin area is healthy, wait for 2 weeks. If your problem persists even after 2 weeks, then it is necessary to consult your cardiologist and get evaluated for same.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor