Owl Image

Had catheter ablation for afib. Started pain while having sex. How to get relief?

Cardiologist
Question
i recently had a catheter ablation for afib, and now when i have sex or ejaculate the pain at the catheter insertion sight increases greatly and feels like the groin muscles really tighten and get sore. Have i tried to retun to normal actvites too soon. My afib prcedure was 10 days ago. The heart is fine, relatively speaking.
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 17 minutes later
Hello sir,

Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is my pleasure to answer you. During catheter ablation procedure, electrophysiologist will put few catheters inside your heart to do ablation and they puncture one vein in groin and vein from neck. Venous puncture will heal fast and relatively safe then artery puncture. Many patients may feel pain or discomfort in groin, and usually it relieves in one to two weeks.

Usually normal activity can be started after 48 hours of uncomplicated procedure, but more physical activity and strenuous activity should be started only after 2 to 4 weeks. In your case, I feel you may have started activity little early.

You can do your routine walking and daily work now. But avoid cross legged sitting, avoid strain while passing motion, and avoid sex for next two weeks. Also check your groin where catheter was inserted, for any swelling or any discharge from the area. If it is there, please consult your cardiologist and follow his advice.

If groin area is healthy, wait for 2 weeks. If your problem persists even after 2 weeks, then it is necessary to consult your cardiologist and get evaluated for same.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.