Had cataract surgery in both eyes. Implanted with multi-focal lens. What causes to have flickers in vision?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I underwent a cataract surgery about 8 weeks ago on both eyes at the same time. My both eyes were implanted with Alcon Multi-focal lenses. Although I had floaters before my cataract surgery, I now also have flickers in my vision after the surgery.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 22 hours later
My Dear, Thanks for sending your query to us. These floaters are opaceties in the vitreous cavity which is a gelly like fluid at the back of eye and we do not attach too much importence to them unless they are of sudden onset. These flickerings are important as they may indicate some damage to the periphery of retina. What is needed that you have a retinal examination of the periphery of retina and if there are any degenerative patches there they have to be tackled. At best some precaution is to be taken regarding heavey weight lifting and sudden jerky movement. Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.