Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Had carpel tunnel surgery done. Getting swelling on arm and hand. Nerve test normal. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
Hi. I've been having problems with my arms and hands for years. My arms and hands swell up all the time. I've had carpel tunnel surgery 7 years ago. I'm only 24. My right arm had about 7 qurtazone shots in different places. All the nerve test come back normal. The doctor thinks I have compressed nerves but not 100% sure. They mainly swell up when I work. For example I'm a electrician. So I have to put rigid together. It weighs about 50 pounds a stick and have to screw it together. After a few pieces my arm swells so much. Everything gets so tight. My hands go numb. It's hard to explain.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 hours later
Dear sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I can see that it is affecting your daily activities. The most probable cause of your problem is your occupation. Lifting heavy weights and using vibrating tools can lead to the problems you are suffering from. These activities affect the nerves and cause damage but it does not always show up on nerve conduction studies. Your carpal tunnel problem also must have got precipitated due to this reason. Another problem could be a cervical rib, which can be picked up by a chest xray.
In my opinion you should visit a neurologist and have this problem evaluated. Another way to see whether the problem is related to your occupation or not is to take some time off from work and see how this condition responds. If jt is related to your occupation, then this condition will worsen with time.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor