Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Had buck shot ammo, many pellets embedded in kidney, liver, spine and colon. Lead level is high. Suggest?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9332 Questions
I have been shot 5 times with buck shot ammo...I have many pellets embedded in me including in my kidney liver spine and colon...they tell me I cant have them removed...they are lead pellets copper lead level is high...what treatment is available to help me with lead poisoning...I am in Doctor says to keep doing blood work but has no treatment plan in place for lead poisoning.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Your case is rarity but there are reported cases of lead poisoning after beeing shot.
There are few possible treatments. the source of lead should be surgically removed if possible. since you said that doctors cant do it you should consider to remove at least those pellets which are close to bloodstream, intestinal mucosa or synovial spaces. Secondly there is chelation therapy with certain medicines which may not be very succesful but you must try with that.
YOu need to check your blood frequently of course. Poisoning will develop gradually so there is no need to hurry with surgical procedures. When critical lead level occurs, pellets should be removed no matter of risk. I am not sure why those in liver and colon shouldnt be removed. liver and colon resection are routine surgical procedures today...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had buck shot ammo, many pellets embedded in kidney, liver, spine and colon. Lead level is high. Suggest? 45 hours later
I have been unable to find a specialist in my area to address my rare case...Do you have any referals for me? I am located in Williamsport Pa. 0000...ny leads you cold give me would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
There is no some specific specialist which is expert in the field of lead poisoning.
it should be managed by multidisciplinary team of surgeons and internists especially abdominal surgeon and urologist which can remove lead from your abdominal cavity. I am sure that you can find those doctors in Philadelphia, university hospital or t XXXXXXX as I said,there is no need to hurry with treatment unless there is critical level of lead poisoning or there are some neurologic symptoms.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor