Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had broken nose, swollen on both sides and scar across the nose. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6185 Questions
I broke my nose 7 weeks ago it is not crooked but still swollen on both sides towards the top - will this swelling go down and how long. also i have a very deep scar running down and across the nose which isnt seeming to close no rednesss no scab just open healed tissue? what to do?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Observe for another 4weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this broken and swollen nose. Though confident that it would return to its initial size in the months ahead, i understand your immediate concerns. The esthetic value of our nose cannot be ignored!

Generally, swelling rarely disappears soon after injuries. This is none different with the nose. Because of the close scrutiny and the esthetic value attached to organs on the face, you would always notice this remaining swelling. However, you need to feel comfortable with this and gain yourself sometime before it returns to normal. I would say it may need approximately 4weeks more unless there is some other thing going on for it to regress significantly to minimally detectable levels. Also, did you take any anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen for this?

When wounds heal, they look very different from the surrounding skin and more so if there was skin loss. It will slowly regain its coloration. Please, consider uploading a picture for a closer appreciation if you don't mind.

I will suggest that you monitor all this over another 4weeks. If at the end of this time you are still very concerned about the nature of your nose, then consult your doctor for examination. I would not want to imagine that you would need any corrective surgery for this.

I hope this addresses your query fully and provides enough guidance to this worry. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
I wish you well and above all, good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor