Had broken nose, swollen on both sides and scar across the nose. What to do?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I broke my nose 7 weeks ago it is not crooked but still swollen on both sides towards the top - will this swelling go down and how long. also i have a very deep scar running down and across the nose which isnt seeming to close no rednesss no scab just open healed tissue? what to do?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Observe for another 4weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this broken and swollen nose. Though confident that it would return to its initial size in the months ahead, i understand your immediate concerns. The esthetic value of our nose cannot be ignored!

Generally, swelling rarely disappears soon after injuries. This is none different with the nose. Because of the close scrutiny and the esthetic value attached to organs on the face, you would always notice this remaining swelling. However, you need to feel comfortable with this and gain yourself sometime before it returns to normal. I would say it may need approximately 4weeks more unless there is some other thing going on for it to regress significantly to minimally detectable levels. Also, did you take any anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen for this?

When wounds heal, they look very different from the surrounding skin and more so if there was skin loss. It will slowly regain its coloration. Please, consider uploading a picture for a closer appreciation if you don't mind.

I will suggest that you monitor all this over another 4weeks. If at the end of this time you are still very concerned about the nature of your nose, then consult your doctor for examination. I would not want to imagine that you would need any corrective surgery for this.

I hope this addresses your query fully and provides enough guidance to this worry. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
I wish you well and above all, good health.
Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD