Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Had break out at the end of spine. Why is it called vaginal herpes?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9335 Questions
I break out at the end of my spine and 2 weeks later through out the year in a herpes rash/ sml blisters. Why is my condition called viginal herpes? I am 70 years young and have been on the proper medication prescribed by my physician for years. Have never had an outbreak in my vagina or on the perimeters of it, but constantly break out over my right buttock and now at the end of the spine. It's painful and I have been recently 2 years ago remarried. I have not had sexual contact for many years with any other man, pls , what is going on and during the outbreak, prior to blisters is my husband infected by me? What other name in the herpes family is there in my case?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Dear madam, I ll try to explain it all. There are 2 most common types of herpes type 1 and 2(HSV 2). Type 2 is also called genital or vaginal herpes since it is mainly found around genitals(this includes gluteal,perianal and inguinal region) while type 1 is found around the face,chest and neck. HSV-2 is transmissed my sexual contact in most cases and the infection good have happened many years ago,even decades. As every other herpes it can be dormant for life and inactive many years before outbreak. Outbreak is usually triggered by stress,some other infection,some acute disease,weakened immune system or by no obvious cause. Your husband is probably already infected but he may not have any symptom at all since it commonly isnt causing outbreaks in men. Your case sounds to me like typical HSV-2 but some other viruses can always be considered such as HPV, molluscum cont., or even some fungal and bacterial infections as well as allergy reactions due to condom or creams. To confirm the diagnosis of herpes you can do some blood tests or blister smear. Then it can be treated by local agents and systemic antiherpes medications such as acyclovir. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor