Had break out at the end of spine. Why is it called vaginal herpes?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Infections
Question: I break out at the end of my spine and 2 weeks later through out the year in a herpes rash/ sml blisters. Why is my condition called viginal herpes? I am 70 years young and have been on the proper medication prescribed by my physician for years. Have never had an outbreak in my vagina or on the perimeters of it, but constantly break out over my right buttock and now at the end of the spine. It's painful and I have been recently 2 years ago remarried. I have not had sexual contact for many years with any other man, pls , what is going on and during the outbreak, prior to blisters is my husband infected by me? What other name in the herpes family is there in my case?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Dear madam, I ll try to explain it all. There are 2 most common types of herpes type 1 and 2(HSV 2). Type 2 is also called genital or vaginal herpes since it is mainly found around genitals(this includes gluteal,perianal and inguinal region) while type 1 is found around the face,chest and neck. HSV-2 is transmissed my sexual contact in most cases and the infection good have happened many years ago,even decades. As every other herpes it can be dormant for life and inactive many years before outbreak. Outbreak is usually triggered by stress,some other infection,some acute disease,weakened immune system or by no obvious cause. Your husband is probably already infected but he may not have any symptom at all since it commonly isnt causing outbreaks in men. Your case sounds to me like typical HSV-2 but some other viruses can always be considered such as HPV, molluscum cont., or even some fungal and bacterial infections as well as allergy reactions due to condom or creams. To confirm the diagnosis of herpes you can do some blood tests or blister smear. Then it can be treated by local agents and systemic antiherpes medications such as acyclovir. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards