Had bell palsy. Now have throbbing vein and artery. Should i be worried?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: hi I'm 24 and had bells palsy on my right side 10 months ago. recently I have had trouble with tightness, pins and needles and pain on the same side in my jaw , temple, cheek and eye. today the pain has got worse and I have found a raised throbbing vain or artery accros my temple on the same side. should I be worried ? also I have an impacted wisdom tooth on the upper on the same side
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later
Dear,

After reading your post, there are few possibilities that I can think of:

1. I feel you may be having trigeminal or facial pain caused by compression of these nerves in brain. Compression may be caused by a vascular loop or other structural cause. A MRI brain scan with post fossae FIESTA sequence might be ordered to confirm it. The treatment is mainly medical though.

2. This pain could be inflammation in the distribution of trigeminal nerve caused by virus. You may also see vesicles like things on face or around ear in this case.

3. Temporal arteritis - an autoimmune disorder if pain is associated with visual blurring.

Yes, I am concerned and I suggest a thorough clinical examination and blood investigations to narrow down the possibility. Therefore I urge you to see your primary care physician.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply I seem to be getting no where with my doctors. I have had every blood test done to test for infection and a lumber puncture. I also had an mri done in XXXXXXX The symptoms I am describing came on about a month ago long after the bp healed. Have you any advise on how to go about further investigation from my doctors
Gem
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 32 hours later
Dear Friend,
I think probably you have trigeminal neuralgia or facial pain syndrome diagnosis of which is clinical. But you can get MRI Brain with posterior fossa cuts or FIESTA sequence to see vascular loops compressing fifth nerve. Your specialists should know this.
Let me know if you have questions further.
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 days later
I have not been offered another MRI but have had bloods tested for temporal arteritis, I have also been put on lyrica . have noticed the pain decrease however my mouth is slightly more dropped
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 22 hours later
Dear Friend,
kindly let me know the results of test for temporal arteritis?. Do you take lyrica? May I know the composition of it as they vary from region to region.