Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Had been to massage parlor after visiting beach. Got scratches all over body due to sand rubbing on skin. Risk of HIV?

Sep 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6271 Questions

I visited a massage parlour near a Goa beach 3 weeks back. And lot of sand was there on my body when I entered the massage parlour. While she was massaging me, I got lot of scratches on my body because of sand rubbing hard against my body. Now since I got scraches, it automatically means she would have also got scratches on her hand because of sand rubbing against her hand as well. Now with this kind of massage is there a risk of HIV?

What should I do now. Should I get tested for HIV?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 13 hours later
Thanks for the query to H.C.M.Forum.
1 hiv/253657?iL=true" >AIDS ( HIV) is transmitted by both homosexual & heterosexual contact.
Virus of HIV demonstrated in seminal fluid ( fluid form penis), cervical smears & vaginal fluid.
Anal intercourse is another root of infection.
Oral sex is much less efficient mode of transmission of the HIV than oral sex.
In mouth saliva present and saliva is most efficient killer of HIV virus, so less chances.
2 HIV spread through blood and blood products if person ( donor) is an infected.
3 Occupational transmission in health worker or by health worker.
4 Mother to baby
5 Other body fluids as note down please,
Although virus can be identified , if not isolated ,from any virtually any body fluid,there id no evidence that HIV transmission can occur as a result of exposure to TEARS, SWEAT,& URINE.
Read this very carefully as this will help you.
Now your query whether you got infection or not, BLOOD TO BLOOD contact is very necessary for infection .
She was massaging you and both of you got scratches ,if there was only scratches no chances of INFECTION of HIV.
If her blood mixed with your blood in scratching site than chances are more of ,you got infection ( if she was a patient of HIV).
Next query about test.
Sure you get in blood for HIV , there is no harm.
Hope I have naswered your question .
If further any question I will help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had been to massage parlor after visiting beach. Got scratches all over body due to sand rubbing on skin. Risk of HIV? 2 hours later
Sorry to bother you again.

1) How much do you think are the chances of me contacting HIV. Is there any such case which has got HIV like this? Should I get the test done immediately so as to know the status.

2) I don't think there was any visible blood. It has red skin after the massage.
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 18 minutes later
Thanks for the query once again Mr. XXXXXXX
Frankly speaking , I would like to say ,there are no chances of HIV infection in your case.
This is clear from you query that blood was not there ,so no way to got any infection.
2nd query is for test.
4 weeks after contact , you can get this test.
On The Counter ( O T C) ,take a strip and get in test done.
P 24 antigen test will remove all misconception from your mind.
If you any doubt this disease I will gladly help you.
Wish you good luck for healthy life.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had been to massage parlor after visiting beach. Got scratches all over body due to sand rubbing on skin. Risk of HIV? 7 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

Where can I get these OTC strip. What is it called. I stay in delhi. Can I get it from chemist ?

Also from where can I get this P 24 antigen test done? Do I need prescription from some doctor for this? Which lab do you recommend for this test ?
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later

This is a home test & you can purchase it from any leading chemist.
And to be doubly sure, consult any lab and get in blood test for HIV.

You can get the test done even without prescription.

Good luck!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor