Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Had anorexia. Drinking heavily and vomiting while she eats or drinks. Give the medication to reduce vomiting?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have a niece who has had anorexia as a teenager, she is 31 now. She went through a very bad break-up with her boyfriend last Dec/Jan time frame, she started drinking very heavily, she is 5'3" and weights about 100 lbs at most now. We got her over that. She was working for her dad doing CAD drawings and messed up, needless to say, my Ex-brother-in-law fired her, she is a very emotional person. She has been drinking heavily again, my husband and I have been trying to help her get of the alcohol the past few days. The problem is she keeps throwing up anytime she eats or drinks anything, even broth, we are keeping her hydrated with coconut water and various other fluids that are good for hydration. Sleeps very little at night, vocally fights when you don't give her wine, scared to go through withdrawl again, A lot of what she says we know is the alcohol talking, We have taken her wine away from her. What can we do about the vomiting,
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I believe more has to be done with respect to this repetitive vomiting. It might important to recognize the fact that the vomiting for sure has a probable psychiatric component. It is very much close to anorexia nervosa, a psychiatric problem characterized by repetitive voluntarily induced vomiting.

Alcohol dependence and abuse must be treated carefully. Psychosocial support to bring her back to herself are important. Bringing her loved ones, trusted ones close to her, as you have started is very necessary. Psychiatric and psychologists views and consultations would be of immense help;. If the girls father could negotiate a talk with her, to revive her ambition and worth and make her feel good this could help very much. Exercise and being with loved ones could really help.

I suggest you consult a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Kind regards as I wish her good health.

Bain LE, MD.,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor