Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had ankle surgery due to accident. Ankle swells and painful with limping. Asked to loose weight. Suggest?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Regarding my Ankle
had a bike fall on Sep ' 07 ; went through a minor surgery (K-wire) ; the surgeon removed the 2 pins after 5 weeks from my ankle. However after that the area just swells & pains a lot if I do stressful job, running around or even if I walk for 3-4 kms or hours . I start limping the next day or even in the evening with pain. Did everything - X-RAY, CT scan etc etc ; all said just lose weight & start using ankle more. Hwvr it's easier said than done :)
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be possibly due to Reactive Synovitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Its not uncommon to see pain and swelling in the ankle joint after an implant (wires or screws) surgery that has been performed many years back. In my practice I see lot many cases with similar presentation.

It could possibly be due to mild inflammatory or reactive Synovitis in the ankle joint secondary to excessive stress or strain that is imparted during the activities of daily living.

A detailed physical examination followed by Blood workup (which shows any signs of infection or inflammation) and MRI scan of the ankle joint (which picks up any soft tissue pathology in the ligaments or tendons or involves Rest to the ankle to allow healing, Ice packing of the area once in 2 hours, wrapping an elastic compression bandage around ankle, elevation of the foot end during night times.
Use simple medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation.

QUIT SMOKING, if your are a smoker.

Also, if you can send me any of your old medical records or reports, it will be a bit helpful in possibly making a diagnosis of your current problem.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor