Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Had aneurysm. Lots of hemmoraging in brain. Suggest

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5556 Questions
Question regarding Aneurysm: The condition looks grim, the aneurysm occured last Wednesday. Patient had/has lots of hemmoraging in brain -- no substantial brain waves.
Is there a specializing hospital in US that we could transfer him to that might impact a positive turn around in this condition?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Aneurysm rupture leading to subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) is a serious condition, with high morbidity and mortality.
The treatment at this stage would be largely supportive, including medications such as nimodipine, adequate saline infusion through veins, keeping the BP on the higher side, and use of anti epileptic medications.

Other treatments would be good physiotherapy, prevention of chest infection and DVT in legs, adequate nutrition through naso gastric tube feeding, etc. In summary, a good ICU care is needed.

The above treatments can be provided in most hospitals, with a neurologist/neurosurgeon on board with a good neuro ICU facility.

The definitive treatment of aneurysm is clipping or coiling of the aneurysm to prevent recurrence of bleeding. This may be done in a hospital with expertise. The best hospitals for this in US include Johns XXXXXXX in Maryland, Baltimore, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota and Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.

At present, I do not think shifting the patient would make any significant difference. However, you can get in tough with one of the hospitals regarding the definitive treatment of aneurysm once the patient is fit for that.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor