Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Had an outbreak of genital herpes type1. Blood test was negative. How did I get this?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
I just had my first outbreak of genital herpes type 1. I have not been with nyone but my partner in over 8 months and his blood test came back negative. Now I am confused. How did i get this
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Genital herpes is always transmitted sexually.
This would involve vaginal / anal / oral intercourse ( cunnilingus and fellatio both ) as well as kissing.
There is no way that genital herpes can be transmitted by toilet seats/ tubs etc.
So the route has to be sexual / sex related activities.
Also herpes might lie dormant without breaking out for months or even years.
So you may have acquired the infection from an older partner ( if you were involved with anybody else before 8 months ).
This is the only possibility here.
Please do write back with more details.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor