Had an epileptic seizure. Suffering from nausea, headaches, loss of appetite and dizziness. Any suggestion?

Dr. Arnab Maji

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a 13 yrs old daughter that is suffering from nausea, bad headaches, loss of appetite, dizziness for the past month or so . On august of last year, she had an epileptic seizure for the first time and was put on seizure medication name of kepra twice a day. she had not had any further seizure after the first one that she had on august of 2012
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 3 hours later
Hi
Single episode of seizure is not of much significance though you need to consult a paediatric neurologist and get your daughter locally examined.
You didn't mention whether your daughter had high grade fever at that time or not. If present then it may be a consequence of fever too.
I want to know details about the seizure episode like onset of seizure, consciousness level during episode, limb movements, vomiting during that episode, post-seizure confusion etc which you didn't mention in your history so that i can differentiate between focal and generalised seizure.
Also your daughter need to have an electroencephalogram (EEG) of brain to pick up the probable etiology and need to undergo detail physical examination to look for neurological deficits.
Keppra is an anti-epileptic drug containing levetiracetam which is used to treat partial onset seizures in adults and children who are at least 1 month old and also to treat tonic-clonic seizures in adults and children who are at least 6 years old, and myoclonic seizures in adults and children who are at least 12 years old.
Dont stop that drug by yourself until your doctor ask you to stop it.
I think my advice will be of help to you. If you want to know more please write back your queries.
Dr Arnab Maji