Had an egg free flu shot and a stent was placed in right coronary artery. Tingling all over body. What could have caused the reaction?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I am allergic to many things, including eggs normally within flu shots. However, I have just had an "egg free" flu shot and had a reaction during the nite from something that may have been in the flu shot. Sept. 9th I had a sten put in my right coronary artery and have been doing fine. The reaction occured just after bed time with my heart palpatations and tingling all over my body. I took 25 mg. Benedryl which did not seem to help. One hr. later my BP was 201/103 with heart rate of 59. Since I felt I was having an allergic reation I took another 25 mg. Benedryl and felt better within about 30 minutes. Could anything within the shot have caused this reaction?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably another component of the shot

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

First of all, it is very good to be well informed, and I am happy you were informed about the egg-free flu shot. Most, but not all vaccines have a small amount of egg, and it is good you were given the egg-free shot. But, despite such precautions, a few individuals still experience allergic reactions after taking the shot.

This has been reported to numbers as low as 1 in 1,00,000. So, medically, we are still uninformed about this reaction taking place due to other components of the shot, or whether small amounts of egg are still in the shot which was administered. Although, the possibility of it being some other component that has caused the reaction, is more likely. Adding to this equation is the fact that you are allergic to a number of things, which means your system could have reacted to any component of the shot, resulting in an allergic reaction

I hope this information is clear ma'am. As long as you have recovered completely and are not experiencing any symptoms of the reaction anymore, I am content. Please also feel free to write back to me if there are any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.