Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Had an EKG. What are the diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9396 Questions
Hello,I had an ekg last week and they siad that i have borderline inferior q waves (PR 161) and borderline st elevation anterior leads (80) sinus bradtcaria rate of (48) i am 32 and in shape (workout crossfit 4 time per week) blood pressure 110/80
this was for a physical for employment is this an issue or within the normal range.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes sir, it could be an issue; need to investigate

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Let me help you to understand your ECG (EKG) better by addressing each parameter and its meaning.

Borderline inferior 'Q' waves: I am sorry to inform you that 'Q' waves are seen when there is either a block in the heart; or due to a current or old myocardial infarction (MI), which is a heart attack; in the inferior leads of the heart

Borderline ST elevation: Is a characteristic feature of an MI, and when seen along with the presence of 'Q' waves, unfortunately MI is usually the cause

Sinus bradycardia: Is a slow heart rate; considered when the heart rate is lower than 60 beats per minute

Your blood pressure is normal at 110/80 mm Hg

In such a scenario, it is best to immediately check for cardiac enzymes (if they are elevated, this confirms a recent cardiac event). A repeat EKG would also be required, along with an echocardiography (which is a scan of the heart). The reason why these tests are recommended is because we will have to rule out a possible heart attack, and if god forbid it is diagnosed, then we will have to initiate treatment immediately. I hope you understand why this can be an issue sir.

Please re-visit your doctor at the earliest and request for the above investigations. You can also write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor