Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Had amnesia after accident. Developed bipolar and manic depression. Which doctor should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
My sister had amnesia from a cut her brain that occured in an auto accident in 1989, as she got older she developed mental illness-mainly bipolar and manic depression. Last year she had to be on life support after she attempted sucicde by taking pills. Now her focus is off, shes more impulsive than ever, her memory is almost non existent and she cannot even stay focused for a conversation--almost like shes spaced out.... Can anyone help this kind of thing? What kind of dr does she need to see?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

I understand your problem and have noted those listed above

The possibilities are 1. post-traumatic amnesia and/or dementia 2. concomitant psychiatric illness.

She needs a detailed evaluation jointly by a psychiatrist and neurologist. Investigations that will help diagnosis are MRI scan of brain, Electroencephalogram. These tests will help clinch the diagnosis.

Hope this helps
Please get back to me if you have any more questions.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor