Owl Image

Had acl reconstruction and medial meniscus. Felt stiffness and hard lump on knee. Is this normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i had acl reconstruction and medial menis something about 5weeks ago and I'm still feeling stiffness especially at the front of the knee where i have noticed a large hard lump.. is this normal? patella tendon graft. have been doing physio weekly along with exercise bike and exercises at home.. good range of movement after sitting and stretching but after walking it stiffen up...
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
After ACL reconstruction, the appearance of the lump and stiffness is likely to be due to a reactive local inflammation. Most of the times it can be taken care of by taking mild anti inflammatory medicines and doing a hot fomentation regularly. Do continue with your physiotherapy exercises if there is no pain.
Your symptoms are likely to resolve in 2-3 weeks. You can use an elastic knee brace till then for a support.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.