Had abscess on hard palate. Have sore throat, swollen glands in head and neck. Took antibiotic. Any thoughts?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: I had a abcess on the hard pallet just over two weeks ago, my throat was sore and all glands in my head and neck region are swollen and have been for some time. I have just finished a 10 day course of antibiotics "clindamycin & fungilin" It has progressively gotton . I have got a transverse supernumary molar tooth imbedded in my lower jaw? And have had strep and staph infections recently. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 6 hours later

Thank you for posting on HCM
Per your description, I believe you are trying to find out more about your transverse Supernumerary molar tooth? The image is not very clear, its difficult to differentiate which part of the mouth is that? Is it an image of the inflammation due to staph/strep because I see some redness or is it image of the supernumerary molar tooth? The clindamycin normally would have handled the strep and staph infections if dosages are correct. Your tooth abnormality would not necessarily cause you any problems. As such, supernumerary teeth do not cause any complication. However, these may lead to:
- displacement, crowding, root resorption, dilaceration, loss of vitality of adjacent teeth
- subacute pericoronitis
- gingival inflammation
- periodontal abscesses
- dental caries due to plaque retention in inaccessible areas
- pathological problems such as dentigerous cyst formation
- meloblastomas
- odontomas
- fistulae.
They may also interfere in alveolar bone grafting and implant placement. How ever these complications are usually rare and might never occur.
Supernumerary teeth can be managed either by removal/endodontic therapy or by maintaining them in the arch and frequent observation.
I will suggest you pay a visit to an odontostomatologist or dentist so that he can evaluate and decide if it needs to be removed or not.

Hope this helps

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 hours later
The supernumerary tooth isn't in the hard pallet, it's in my lower jaw. It is something else on the roof of my mouth. Could it be a sinus tract? I also have them on both sides of my neck over my lymp nodes and at the base of my spine. I have been to a mallofixacial surgeon, aparantly the position of the supernumary is difficult to remove because of it sitting on the median nerve. I have no dental problems apart from this tooth. I just would like to know if my reoccurring staph and strep infections could be related to the tooth?
Hi XXXXXXX,

Yes, your recurrent staph/strep infection is most likely due to the supernumerary tooth and unfortunately cannot be removed because of its location on the median nerve. Removal might become more fatal.

I mentioned earlier that there is increased risk of abscesses when you have this type of malformation. Therefore, you will need to practice daily mouth hygiene by using mouth wash solutions associated to your tooth paste. Mouthwash solutions such as hextril or eludril could be used 2 to 3 times daily prevent and also destroy the current infections.

It is also difficult to conclude on the abnormally on the lower jaw without actually seeing it. Cannot tell if it is sinus tract or not, without seeing it. Is it possible that you can present an image of the abnormalities? I have taken a look on your supernumerary tooth embedded.

Best regards
Dr Nsah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 57 minutes later
I uploaded the abcess on the roof of my mouth, this has gone down in size in the last 10 days. It still feels swollen, not on the actual lump in the surrounding areas.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 37 minutes later
I have taken a closer look at the mass in question. This looks more like a benign mass/tumor. Your maxillo-facial surgeon will have to take a closer look by palpating and if possible do a fine needle biopsy to rule out benign mass or pus collection. If pus is present, then surgical drainage can be done to accelerate healing. If mass, then treatment option will depend on your doctor. Excising the mass and biopsy is a good option.

Hope this helps.
Nsah, MD