Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Had abnormal result on CT scan of bladder wall. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
my husband was told he had an abnormal result on a CT scan concerning his bladder wall. He is going to see a uroloogist. Does this probably mean bladder cancer? Are there any other common diagnoses for this?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there are other possibilities

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question. Indeed, there are many different conditions that can be seen on a CT scan at the level of the bladder, not only malignancy, and these include stones, polyps, acute or chronic inflammation and enlargement of the bladder itself. Of course, malignancy in the form of a mass is always worrisome. I foresee that the urologist will suggest further workup, and the best next step to be a cystoscopy, looking directly at the bladder with a camera that allows to take samples if needed.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor