Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Had abdominal surgery, scar tissue due to cancer and pain in abdomen. Done with ultrasound and CAT scan. Will Vit E tablets help. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5759 Questions
Ive had abdominal surgery, due to cancer Ive been told I have scar tissue, Ive had ultra sound, cat scan, peridicoly I get pains in admoman , Is there any thing I can do to deal with the pain, until it pass's. I do not want to go to the emergency every time this happens. I try to watch what I eat, and is it possible that some foods don't digest fast enough in my stomach . Can you tell me if Vit E tablets would help. Please any suggestions, would be helpful, My doctor cant think of any thing.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Partial bowels obstruction due to radiation.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

The pain you are dealing with is caused by abdominal adhesions and intestines harm due to radiation. Please note that radiation destroys not only tumor itself, but all other tissues which it reaches. Intestines are very sensitive for radiation. Intestines problems due to radiation usually gives symptoms after 10 or more years. And the pain wont get better. You need to prepare that it will gradually be worse and worse.
That is why, you should seek for help, you are unable to deal with it by yourself.
You should consult general surgeon or gastroenterologist. Abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be done. Another surgery seems necessary.
In a meanwhile, to help with the pain, Buscolysisne, Metamizole might be helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor