Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Had abdominal hernia surgery. Felt mass growth in abdominal area. What's going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Had abdominal hernia surgery 12 years ago mesh used. mesh seems to have come lose and a mass of what freels like scar tissue is taking over my abdomin and stomach area. This is no joke. I seem to gain weight with every meal. the mass is hard and I have felt the mesh move inside me. Is this even possible? weight 400 plus, trouble walking and standing
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I am not convinced that the mass that you are describing is actually some type of growth. This might be part of your abdominal contents pushing through. The intestines and omentum are located behind the abdominal muscles.

I suspect that the shifting of the mesh may have allowed for another hernia to develop. This could give the sensation of a mass.

I really think you need a good focused examination and consultation by your doctor. He may order a CT scan of the abdomen which will help further delineate what might be going on there.

Thanks again for sending the question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns as I would be happy to discuss them with you.


Dr Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had abdominal hernia surgery. Felt mass growth in abdominal area. What's going on? 1 hour later
I do agree with the theory of new hernia. Something is definately pushing and accumulateing surrounding the naval area. And as I said, you can feel the mass clearly. It has a completely different feel and firmness that just fat.
Is this CT scan expensive? I would assume a surgery would be necessary to correct this. Can you estimate the cost? Because of this weight gain and as a result of a car accident I have a very difficult time standing and or walking. Therefore, I have no insurance and have been forced to retire. I do have some savings available.
Thank you so much. You have been very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 minutes later
Hello again and thank you for the additional question.

These imaging studies can be relatively expensive. I cannot quote you a price which would be exact but I would estimate a scan would cost over $1000. If there is any issue with your ability to afford to scan I would encourage you to contact the hospital to see if they have any social services or financial assistance available. Most hospitals have this type of resource.

Regarding surgery if this might be necessary again this is something that is very difficult to estimate but would certainly be several thousand dollars.

Regarding your financial ability to afford this care I would again encourage you to discuss this with the social services in the hospital and they may be able to direct you towards other types of resources which might make the cost much more affordable in your situation.

Thank you again for sending a question. Please let me know if you have additional concerns to discuss.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor