Had abdominal CT scan with IV iodine contrast. Safe to go for frozen embryo cycle?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,

I just had an abdominal CT scan with IV iodine contrast and a contrast I needed to drink beforehand. I have a frozen embryo cycle scheduled in 1.5 months. I just read online that the iodine is radioactive and takes 6 months to break down in the body. So I called the radiology lab and was told the iodine flushes out in 24 hours. How long after the cat scan with radioactive contrast material do I need to wait to make sure the embryo will not be effected in any way? Are there any studies or warnings you know about regarding the contrast material and pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 50 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Radio iodine in the body is mainly taken up by thyroid gland to synthesize thyroxine hormone. Excess iodine given for the test or radiotherapy get excreted from the body the same day but the part getting in the thyroid/thyroxine would circulate till 2-3days.
There are no studies I can quote you in this regard but I think 3 months would be a reasonable time so that the ova formed during this period are not to get fertilized.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!