question-icon

Had abcess tooth and got prescribed amox/clav 400 twice daily

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019
Question: Had abcess tooth and got prescribed amox/clav 400 twice daily 10ml for 10 days. Ive taken it for 7 days now and 2-3 days ago my kids got a viral cold type of sickness and went to urgent care and they gave them just cough medicine and steroid because they said it was viral. They have sore throat a little and a cough and just don't feel great but not like a horrible sickness. 2 days ago I started having a stopped up nose and headache and not feeling great. Should I take some steroids I have here and should I stop the antibiotics I am on because its been 7 days and my tooth infection has been gone and I read a lot and saw that taking antibiotics while having viral infection is NOT GOOD AT ALL AND WILL make you worse. I need to know if I should juts stop amox/clav and not take it and should I take the steroid pack I have or juts not take anything. thank you in advance
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You seem to be having allergic rhinosinusitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hii.

You are having allergic rhinosinusitis. The most common cause of it is viral. You have completed 10 days course of antibiotics so no need of taking antibiotics for allergic symptoms. Take steam inhalation,fluticasone nasal spray and betadine gargle. Please don't have steroids too much and taper it off. No need of steroids in viran infection unless you have much breathing difficulty.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist