Had a tif procedure with a hiatal hernia repair. Having pain in neck and clavicle area. What is causing this pain?

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello, i had a tif procedure (anti reflux surgery) with a hiatal hernia repair 4 months ago. About 2 months ago i started having pain near XXXXXXX in my clavicle area, the pain is inconsistent and lasts for about 30 seconds...typically after eating, yawning, hiccupping, etc.
i have seen my surgeon but he does not think the pain is related to the surgery, i had a CT scan with normal results done and now my options are a MRI or having my esophagas dilated, neither of which the doctor seems certain would achieve any results. i do have a knot in that area, which the doctor felt and was the reason i was sent for a CT Scan...but he said it looked normal. Although I'm not sure because the CT Scan that was done was done of my chest, so I don't know if they would see anything since the pain is more in the neck area.
i'm not sure if i should proceed with one of these options or see another doctor for a 2nd opinion.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the neck area near the clavicle is not likely to be related to the surgery you had.
Even if the CT scan did not reveal anything, going for an MRI is advisable as it is more sensitive in detecting any soft tissue swellings. You can decide the next line of action after getting the MRI results.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN