Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Had a tearing and burning sensation on right waist area. Pains when coughing, sneezing. On advil. Anything else?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10337 Questions
Four nights ago I went to turn over and I had this horrible tearing, burning pain on my right side waist area. Basically if you put your hands on your waist, that is where the pain was on the right side. As soon as I stood up the pain lessened, then I laid back down and went to sleep. Since then I feel a dull ache on that side, but it is really sharp if I turn the wrong way, cough, sneeze or laugh. It hurts a little more also when I go from a sitting to standing positions and vice versa. I take Advil and it relieves the pain. I have no fever, a normal appetite, regular bowel movements,etc. My mom says it is a pulled muscle, as does another doctor I consulted. Being overweight doesn't help either. I am extremely paranoid and tend to panic when things don't feel right. I've noticed the pain hasn't gotten worse, actually slightly better, unless I move the wrong. However, by the end of the day I notice all these other minor aches and pains all around my right side. I attribute it to my other muscles compensating for the strain. I just wanted to know what your opinion is.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your symptoms, the cause of pain on your right side is most likely to be due to a muscle sprain.
Bad body posture, being overweight, lifting any heavy weights, etc will aggravate the pain. Usually such mild pain does improve after taking a mild pain killer. Doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will be helpful.
You can also take methylcobalamin supplements for the burning sensation you had. In case the pain is persistent, you can take oral muscle relaxants after consulting your orthopedician.

Waiting for your response.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor