Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Had a spinal fusion and suffering from constant pain. Impossible to get pain medication. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1197 Questions
I am in constant pain and getting pain medication is humiliating and almost impossible I had a spinal fusion 3 levels and my surgeon seems to have skipped town
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Though there is little you can do without taking pain relief medications for your back pain you could change the way you look at it and try to minimize the discomfort.
Generally looking after yourself might help you to feel better - for example by maintaining a good diet or taking regular gentle exercise. Change your position frequently to stay as comfortable as possible and prevent stiffness. Hot or cold packs may help to relieve some types of pain. Wrap them in a towel so that they don't hurt your skin. Hot water bottles can also be helpful. Try something to take your mind off the pain, such as listening to music, reading, watching television or chatting with a friend or family member. As simple as it sounds, it really can help.
Try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, relaxation tapes or a relaxing bath. These can help you to feel more comfortable and take your mind off the pain.

Please do not feel humiliated in seeking pain relief medications from your doctor. If necessary, give a feedback and request for change in medications as per available treatment protocols. Hope your surgeon is back soon.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor