Had a spinal fracture and taking Vicodin. Having itching, hot flashes causing sweating as side effects. What should I do?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a spinal fracture in late August and have been taking Vicodin since for pain, two tablets per day, cutting back from four. The side affects have been itching and burping in the morning and now what seems like hot flashes that are flu-like, causing sweating occasionally. Two weeks ago, I began cleaning our garage of mouse droppings, working twice there, finishing on Wednesday last week. (two cleaning sessions) Because of these strange feelings, I'm now worried about Hantavirus, because some side effects that I have been feeling recently are not consistent with the ones I read about that relate to the use of Vicodin. Send to YYYY@YYYY . Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You may need to investigate further

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

As per your history these can be side effects of vicodin also.
You may hold the medication and start pantoprazole and domperidone combination.

For your suspected viral infection I will advise routine blood investigation like CBC and CRP.

Take calcium with vitaminD to increase bone strength.
If blood investigation are normal than just change vicodin with ultracet [tramadol].

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion