Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Had a slight physical contact, without penis getting wet. Should I take PEP ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I have been to strip club y'day at 00:30 AM today. I took lap dance in private room . I have been taking Lap dance with her for last 3 months. She opened my pant, I thought she was going to just masburate.

But she suddenly tried to put my penis in her vagina with out protection. I was shouting due to music and as she was sitting on my lap, she almost put my penis on her vagina. Actually I did not feel even touch sense with her vagina.

bUT SHE says my penis touched her vagina. If she was correct my penss might have benin contact with her for 15 secs or less. I did not feel any wet and i went to toilet and checked. There was not wet. I put handwash sanitizer on my penis head and around.

Please let me know whether I need to run for PEP. If I need PEP how I can get it. It is becoming hard to get infection specialist opointment directly and today.

Please help me
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 33 minutes later

Thanks for putting up your query.

I can understand your anxiety.But there is no need for taking PEP.

With the type of exposure you had there was a minimum contact of skin to mucous membrane hence risk of transmitting HIV is very less (<1%). Even if the girl is HIV positive, the chances of contracting HIV remain very very low.The HIV virus is very fragile and is inactivated on exposure to disinfectants containing aldehydes or alcohols. It was good on your part to check on the penis and using disinfectant immediately.However if you can ascertain the HIV status of the girl you had contact with would be better.

For HIV to transmit sexually penetrative sex with exchange of fluids(vaginal , semen)is essential.It does spread through intact skin contact.Presence of ulcers inflamation on penis or vagina increases the chances of transmission.
The main ways in which someone can contract HIV is
-Unprotected penetrative sex with someone who is infected.
-Injection or transfusion of contaminated blood or blood products, donations of semen (artificial insemination), skin grafts or organ transplants taken from someone who is infected.
-From a mother who is infected to her baby; this can occur during pregnancy, at birth and through breastfeeding.
-Sharing unsterilised injection equipment that has previously been used by someone who is infected.
Apart from this, HIV does not spread by casual contact ,sharing of clothes plates ,casual skin to skin contact .

In order for me to help you better, please answer the following questions:

• Did the girl have any visible genital/anal ulcers/ lesions/ secretions?
• do you have any genital lesions /ulcers/ burning while urinating ?
• Do you had any oral contact/oral sex/wet kisses with her?

So I want to assure you that getting HIV in your case in very unlikely.
I would suggest the following
1. Avoid unprotected sexual encounters.
2. Avoid sexual intercourse with unknown /high risk/ commercial sex workers.
3. Testing for HIV and if possible checking HIV status of the girl.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had a slight physical contact, without penis getting wet. Should I take PEP ? 4 hours later
Dear sir,

I do not know about her. I am sure I do not have any ulcer,burning etc on my genitals.

There was only wet kissing only other than above. No oral sex

I am sure I do not have or wound in my mouth.
Thank you very I am very relaxed with your quick reply.

Thank you very much on your explanation "For HIV to transmit sexually penetrative sex with exchange of fluids(vaginal , semen)is essential". It gave me lot of peace and relief.

I am not sure my penis had really touched her vagina as I pushed her immediately and I did not feel touching her vagina or wetness. Just she claims it touched.

I have met a doctor in NC, USA today and he said if I want he can start PEP. But he mentioned if he were me and had similar encounter he would not go for PEP at all. He also showed me on his system that PEP is not neccessary for below

1. If partner is known HIV-
2. If partner HIV stat is unknown and few drops of fluid is exchanged.

in my case I do not think single drop fluid exchanged from her vagina onto my penis as I did not feel wet.

On wet kissing he mentioned salavia is not enough for HIV transmission and it indeed actually kills hiv. I did not drink alcohol and did not have cuts/sores/bleeding in my mouth for sure.

I have decided not to go for PEP. But taken pencilin and other shots for other STDs just in case.

Please let me know whether you recommend PEP for Penis & vagina touching and wet kissing encounter. There were no other sexual activities other than these two.

I have not yet completed even 24 hours till now after this encounter. Please advise if you differ with the physician I met today. Please let me know your opinion if need to go for PEP as wet kissing also involved.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Its’ heartening to know that there was no further exposure than described by you .

I would agree with your physician and advise you that no PEP is needed.

Saliva is not a transmitter of HIV as saliva contains few glycoproteins which have anti viral activity. Saliva can only transmit if you have active oral ulcers/ sores. So in your case the chances of transmission are nil and NO PEP is needed.

HIV does not spread by tears , urine ,sweat, saliva, casual contact, sharing of clothes, plates etc.

HIV can spread through blood and blood products, any of the above fluids if contaminated by blood, joint fluid, amniotic fluid, spinal fluid etc.

It’s good that you have taken medication for other STDs. Hope I’ve answered your query.

I will be available if you have any further queries.

If you have liked my answer, please indicate it by rating my answer at the end.

Dr Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor