Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Had a seizure, fell down, shoulder separated and muscles tore. Having pain after surgery. What to do?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Twenty-five year old nephew had a seizure, fell, separated his shoulder and tore the muscles. Apparently they had to be reattached. Surgery was a week and a half ago; he's been in a LOT of pain. He went in yesterday, and site was read and inflamed so Dr. could not remove the stitches. Dr. wants to send him to pain management. I think he should needs different help, but what?
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your nephew might having posterior dislocation of shoulder with rotator cuff tendon tear.

Posterior dislocation of shoulder has been linked to a seizure disorder. When the body undergoes a seizure or an electric shock, the way the muscles fire may drive the humerus (ball) out of the socket and toward the back of the body instead of the front.

His orthopaedic surgeon might had done surgical treatment which involves reattachment of the torn ligaments - and labrum - to the bone and fixation with bioabsorbable (non-metallic) suture anchors.

Stiches after the surgical procedure generally removed after 10-15 days if stich line is dry.If it is inflamed , one can wait for another 4-5 days for stitch removal. Postsurgical recovery from a corrected shoulder dislocation involves a regimen of physical therapy for several weeks. Do not become apprehensive.

For pain management, he can take anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or naproxen and physical therapy under observation of physiotherapist. The recovery depends on the physical therapy which in turn depends on the feasibility to undergo such therapy without pain. If there is no pain or under good pain medication he will do the exercises under Rehab expert else his recovery takes time and it can lead to limitation in the range of movements around the shoulder joint. Please do not stop him from going to pain specialist.

If you have any other concerns let me know I can specifically address them for you.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor