Had a second bout of BPPV and taking Cyclizine Hydrochloride. Why is it reoccurring?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello I have had a second bout of BPPV I am on Cyclizine Hydrochloride at the moment, started them yesterday. The first bout was about 3 months ago. Why does it still keep coming back? its very unnerving to say the least.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do adaptation exercises for BPPV.

Detailed Answer:

BPPV is a condition caused by movement of fine particles in the fluid filled inner ear. These particles normally are attached to the parts of inner ear but for various reasons become dislodged from there normal position and cause vertigo with their movements.

The problem is disturbing for the sufferer but not incurable. So, please relax. You are taking a drug which is labrynthine sedative and calms the inner ear and decreases vertigo. The role of these drugs is in acute condition and when acute condition improves, the long term problem can be avoided by doing adaption exercises for BPPV which are available on internet easily. You can also take guidance from your ENT regarding this.

Also in acute condition avoid jerky movements of head and avoid getting in positions which can be XXXXXXX during an attack of vertigo like standing on heights and driving or swimming.

I hope this will solve your problem.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj