Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Had a rectal bleed, mild diverticulitis was diagnosed. Prescribed hormonal cream for vaginal dryness. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
About 3 years ago i had a severe rectal bleed. I was hospitalised and had various tests (CT, virtual colonoscopy ultrasound). Eventually mild diverticulitis was diagnosed. During that time i developed slight vaginal and bleeding from urethra. it drove me mad with worry as i seemed to bleeding from every orifice!. nothing came of it and i was prescribed hormonal cream for vaginal dryness.Months passed berfore i recovered.. The whole thing has now flared up again including the bleeding (noticed on tissue). i can't get a referral until 6 weeks from onset of symptoms. I'm more or less constant pain in lower left quadrant and across lower abdomen. So worried.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
thanks for writing in.
From your description there are two seperate issues.
1. Gynaecology problem
2. Diverticular problem

From your past history as you have mentioned of endometriosis the most likely cause of your urethral bleeding then was endometriosis. The treatment of which is predominantly hormonal. If the pain and reblleding starts then you will have to restart the same treatment.

The worrisome part is that of diverticular disease . Pain in the left quadrant is suggestive of inflammation of the pre existing diverticula. This if untreated can lead to a severe attack and get complicated. The treatment for this would be
1. Go on a semi solid or preferably liquid diet.
2. Avoid red meat.
3. a mild laxative to enhance emptying of the bowel.
4. If spasms become intense then a short course of anti spasmodics which will reduce the pressure in the colon.
5. Antibiotics to prevent infection in the diverticula from flaring up.
Mild warm fomentations to the abdomen will also help.
However if the attack assumes serious proportions like fever severe abdominal pain and vomiting or bleeding with stools then it is advisable to visits the ER immediately.
I hope this answers your doubt.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor