Had a nissen fundoplication. Unable to eat due to lump in throat. What to do?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in GERD
Question: I had a nissen fundoplication re do 4 weeks ago and have a lump of wind in my throat which is stopping me eating
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking ito your problem I would like to tell you that this can be a complication of Nissen fundoplication like gas bloat syndrome . Although nothing can be said with confirmation but this remains the main possibility. In this mechanical ability of the stomach to eliminate swallowed air by belching is impaired , leading to an accumulation of gas in the stomach , throat or small intestine . Other possibility can be difficulty in swallowing because the stomach is wrapped too high on the esophagus or is wrapped too tightly . You need to consult your treating doctor for this because he is the best judge of the situation and this problem can be assessed by your treating team only whether it is related to surgery or something else is going on. Take care. Dr. Shruti