Had a hysterectomy. Getting spasms in abdomen after sex. Took vicodan and muscle relaxer. How to treat?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I had a hysterectomy almost 12 weeks ago. Had intercourse with my boyfriend and right after we finished, I started having spasms in my whole abdominal section (from below my breasts all the way to the top of my legs). My legs were quivering and my pain was at a 10. I couldn't walk or move and could hardly talk. I took 2 7.5 mg. Vicodan and 1 muscle relaxer. It took almost 45 minutes before the pain started to subside. I'm still a little sore and there was blood enough to be all over my boyfriend and on a towel I had plastered to my crotch because it hurt so bad. No bleeding the next day but there seemed to be a discharge. My hysterectomy was done vaginally, left my ovaries but took my cervix. I called my OB and she didn't even want to do a pelvic exam. I insisted something was wrong and she had me come in for a blood test (I don't know any results yet). I thought I might be internally bleeding. She said the spasms and pain weren't from the surgery but I never had pain or spasms after sex before the surgery. What's wrong with me and will this get better?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 57 minutes later
The pain and the spasms followed by bleeding are likely to be due to an external injury in your vagina or a vaginal infection. An XXXXXXX heavy bleeding is unlikely after 12 weeks of surgery.
A direct examination of the area is an integral part of the diagnosis of such a bleeding. Most of the times such bleeding subsides spontaneously and you can resume your daily routine and normal sexual activities after a week. It is best to get a vaginal swab culture done to rule out any infections after such an episode. Please do not worry. Everything will be alright soon.
In case the pain recurs or is persistent then you need to be examined by an orthopedician to rule out any disc related problem.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.