Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Had a genital wart removed from pubic area. Took Condolyx. Any chances of HIV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6940 Questions
Hi there....
43 XXXXXXX male.... In October 2012 had a genital wart removed from my pubic area.... MY dermatologist has me so scared cause he said it must be HIV! I also had a small garden variety along the underside of my penis... He prescribed Condolyx and so far my warts are all gone.. Everything I have been reading online suggests that older men who get a genital wart must have HIV!~
I have used condoms with my partners... I only top.. Yes I have had unprotected oral and kissing...
I'm losing my mind about all the things on the internet.... Men do not get warts only men with HIV and low immune systems. I am also a smoker and drinker... HOw can this happen
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing to HCM

Genital warts are lesions caused by a viral infection- Human papilloma virus. These warts are more common in face of immunodefieciency. HIV is one of the causes of immunodefiency.
Since you have high risk sexual behaviour, there are chances of acquiring HIV infection.

But please do not jump into conclusions and worry. For confirming or ruling out HIV infection certain tests are needed.
The first test is to detect P 24 antigen in the serum. This test becomes positive after 3 weeks of acquiring infection.
However, this test may be negative in window period. In case of false negative test it can be repeated after few weeks.

If the test is positive a second confirmatory test- Western blot test, can be done.

Get these tests done, so that we can either rule out or confirm the diagnosis.

If you have more queries I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor