Had a feeling of sudden heart drop. Diagnosed with gastritis. Could it be anyway related to heart?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I just had a feeling where my heart dropped suddendly. It was back to back. I am diagnosed with gastritis but im scared it was my heart
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 9 days later
Brief Answer: Endoscopy,Holter monitoring and EP Studies needed. Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of your problem; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, I request you to kindly provide AS MUCH DETAILS- of your problem- as possible. However, from the very brief information provided, your problem may due either, sudden significant bleeding from stomach ulcer; or to a heart condition (called electrical conduction defect or "heart block") in which one skips one or more heart beats. In both conditions, the individual has sudden dizziness, feeling of fainting . There may even be a blackout if several beats are skipped. If you had a black tarry poop, this confirms bleeding from stomach ulcer. Hence, Endoscopy to directly visualize the stomach and early portion of intestine; A-24 hours of Holter-monitoring and Electrophysiological Study should be done at the earliest. The specific treatment would depend on the results. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agrees with my opinion and clinical acumen; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 8 hours later
I did endoscopy and was diagnosed as chronic gastritis
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: The Possibilities mentioned earlier, still stand Detailed Answer: OK. However, my opinion still REMAINS THE SAME. Chronic gastritis can bleed any time. The sudden bleeding0 in the background of chronic gastritis- can be precipitated either on its own; ingestion of pain-killer drug; or moderate binge of alcohol. This is possible if you meant sudden "sinking' of the heart. Also, if you meant "missing" or "dropping of heart beats", thorough cardiac workup, as elaborated above, is not only mandatory, but also should be on top priority. If the significant conduction defect is indeed diagnosed, you may require be put on pacemaker. Please DO NOT take my advice lightly. At the same time, I would like to clarity that my professional opinion is based SOLELY on the information provided by you. I will be happy to answer further clarifications, if any. Fond regards and take care. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 5 minutes later
I did an echo and holt monitor for a day back in september and it all came back normal
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: No change in advice Detailed Answer: Understood. Please follow the advice as given earlier. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 18 minutes later
Still do holster?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please undergo Electro-Physiological-Test Detailed Answer: Hi There, Welcome back! Holter continuously monitors and records, all abnormal cardiac events which occur during the course of monitoring, that is, for 24 hours. The test will be interpreted as NORMAL IF NO abnormal events take place during the course of monitoring. Hence, a normal Holter test does not rule out underlying condition. Therefore, you should undergo EPS study, as already advised. Electro-Physiological-Study (EPS) is a test in which attempts to provoke all possible abnormal cardiac events, are made. EPS is therefore, the most sensitive and conclusive test to unmask a latent defect, if present. Consult your Cardiologist and discuss my opinion/advice/recommendation with him. I am certain that he will fully agree with me and subject you to EPS so as to conclusively rule out/confirm a cardiac conduction defect, if any. Take care and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal