Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Had a cystoscopy. Experienced burning in prostate urethra area. Is that normal? Will ejaculation be effected?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
Just had a cystoscopy today, the flexible scope, and I experience burning pain in prostate urethra area when I razor blades. Well, when He inserted the instrument it burned and was a sharp pain like a knife when passing through the prostate. Is this normal? I have read a lot of inquiries that others didn't experience this kind of pain during procedure, but the urologist said that everything looked healthy....could my pain be due to tensing up? Also, I was curious about ejaculation and if that was affected too, and when I did tonight it felt good at first, but during onset of ejaculation it burned and felt like a hot knife coming out...grusome, but true. Is this normal? Should I wait for sex? How long until normal? The doctor suggested I try Finasteride, but that I looked healthy inside. It is just the passing throught the prostate part with so much this an indicator of a stricture or problem? Also, the pain as mentioned above?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later

The symptoms of pain while urinating as well ejaculating that you are experiencing are found in a large fraction of patients post flexible cystoscopy.

It can be due to tensing up, There is nothing to worry about. These symptoms shall disappear in 4-5 days.

You don't need to start any medications for this and it does not indicate any stricture or other problem.

You can restart your sexual life after a week.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor