Had a concussion. Prescribed with novo carbamaz for focal seizure. Unable to sleep. What could it be?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had a concussion on Sept 9 th and still suffering the impact of pcs. Headaches especially. But yesterday after a physio appointment, Driving home I could not remember getting home and was disoriented when I got home. My wife called an ambulance and at the hospital still could not remember the trip. Tests and xrays on the neck showed no heart attack or stroke. Put me on novo carbamaz 200 mg twice a day and said it could be a focal seizure and ordered a ecg. also I increased my bp pill by 1/2 the day before...factor? Last night, i had trouble sleeping and had sensations in both arms and legs and on top of my head at different times during the night???? Doctor said no driving and am not sure what is happening...what is happening???? This morning no headaches so far and head clear...
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer: I agree it could be seizure Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. These episodes of disorientation and amnesia (lack of memory for the events) is suggestive of a seizure. Seizures can occur in about 10% of patients after head injury. Since your CT scan is normal, there is no need to worry, as major internal bleeding or brain injury is excluded. For picking up minor brain injury, an MRI may be done later. As of now, you should continue the anti-seizure medications (Carbamazepine) and avoid driving/swimming. BP medications need to be adjusted as per your BP readings. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later
My headaches did not occur today could it be the carbamazepine or maybe getting over them?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: It is good to note that you did not get headaches. It could be both- you could be getting over them. Also, carbamazepine does have efficacy in reducing headaches. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)