Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Had a c5-c7 discectomy and fusion. Having hard bulging line above the scar. Can this happen on neck surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions
Hi, I had a c5-c7 discectomy & fusion 12 days ago. My staples were removed 2 days ago & I seem to have a hard bulging line above the scar, like a hernia that happens on stomach scars. Can this happen on neck surgery too?

Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The hard bulging line over the scar is likely to be due to local tissue inflammation and edema. Hernia is not likely in this area.
This bulging is likely to subside spontaneously in next 2 weeks. In case it is persistent then it might be suggestive of a scar hypertrophy which may need further treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor