Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Had a back pull suddenly, unable to move. What can I do ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
I put my son in the bath the other day. And felt something in my back pull .
2 days after I am in agony and can hardly move
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.
From the information you have provided it seems you have got a muscle pull.
It seems the pain is due to stretching of the muscle.
Few things I would like to ask to help you better:-
-Did you lift your child or any weight at that time?
-Are you taking rest or any medication?
-Is the pain better by taking rest?
-Do you have any history of similar pain or severe low back pain?
Presently taking rest and hot fomentation should help reduce the pain. Some experts also advice numbing the painful point with cold packs.
To relieve the pain alternatively you may try over-the-counter pain relievers like Tab Ibuprufen upto 200mg each time after a meal.

Awaiting your reply.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had a back pull suddenly, unable to move. What can I do ? 7 minutes later
I find the pain is no easier when resting , if anything it gets harder to try an move once I have lay in bed or sat Down
I also forgot to mention all the right lower side of my back is swollen .
I have a job to lift my legs to get dressed without severe pain
I also takes me ages to get from one room to another , and I can't straighten my back properly.
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing back with the details.
From your details it seems you may have severe muscle pull which is probably associated with disc or nerve root compression.
This could be the reason you cannot move easily.
As the pain is severe it will be advisable for you to consult with a doctor or better an Orthopaedician in person for examination.
He may prescribe medications like pain killer and muscle relaxants after examination.
And if you do not get better and the Orthopaedician feels necessary he may advise you investigations like X-ray and MRI later.
So please consult and get treated.
Hope this answer is helpful to address your concerns.
Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor