Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Had a Truncal plication. Prescribed with Amyl nitrate for preventing erection. Medication not available. Alternate medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10367 Questions
I recently had a truncal plication and need to prevent AM erections while I heal. My surgeon prescribed amyl nitrate but none of the pharmacies or their distributors carry it. Are there any other medications that prevent erection?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
After penile or urethral surgeries, to prevent the spontaneous erections, oral ketaconazole- an antifungal agent - has been used for 10-14 days continuously. It reduces the testosterone secretion temporarily and reversibly thus reducing the painful erections post surgically.
You can consult your physician for appropriate doses and prescriptions.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor