Had UTI and blood test showed WBC 13.0, Neutrophils 7.88 and ESR 30. Is there a risk of infection?

Posted on Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi doctor sorry I know your busy, if your busy you can text back. I had a recent blood test ordered last week by my doctor which was my yearly one. At that time I had a UTI infection and was about to come down with the flu. The results came In today and the main abnormal things were; WBC 13.0 Neutrophils 7.88. Esr30 This has been like this for 12 months. My question is as always, is there any concern? Do you think it was high because of the infection and start of the flu? Thanks sorry texting on Xmas eve. I am a very anxious person. Pls help!!
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: ESR is elevated and Total counts are elevated. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the question. I can understand your concern. From your reports, I see that you have elevated ESR levels and raised WBC counts, what this means is you might be having a long standing mild infection or inflammation in your body. Numbers don't look very worrisome, you can wait for a few more days before you act on these findings. You do need a complete workup to look for the actual cause for this elevation. You don't need to worry excessively, because these findings are nothing specific, and some times be elevated if you have had an infection recently. Please do consult an Internal medicine MD once the holidays are over. Hope this answers your question for the time being, please relax and enjoy your holidays. You can write back to me if you have further concerns. Wishing you happy holidays and good health. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 5 minutes later
My concern is cancer. Bit this has been going on for around 12 months. 4 months ago wbc was 10.4 I have no obvious symptoms and have been very well. Even though i had a flu last week when the bloods were taken. I forgit to mention that i am also a iverweight male of 34 with type 2 diet controlled diabetes. What can this be? Celiac disease?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can ignore this if you had flu. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for writing back with details. If you had had flu while you gave the blood sample, then you can forget about the results for now. Nothing in these reports is remotely suggestive of cancer, why do you think that? This doesn't seem like anything other than a mild elevation due to the viral infection you had when you gave the blood sample. Get the test repeated when you don't have any viral or other fevers and you will see that the results will be perfectly normal. Stop worrying about imaginary things. Enjoy your holidays. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 5 minutes later
Thanks doctor.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using WWW.WWWW.WW I am happy to be of help to you. Take care. Regards,
Dr. Yogesh D