Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Had UTI. Pain in umbilical while urinating and severe burning in the urethral. Culture showing Klebsiella pneumoniae. Treatment?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9607 Questions
Hi, I'm 23 years old and unmarried female. During August 2012 i had my first UTI. I had symptoms like pain in my umblical while urinating and severe burning in the urethral opening after urination. When i did a CUE and Culture, the organism was Klebsiella pneumoniae. I took a course of 10 gentamicin injections for 5 days and i was alright. I retook a culture in december 2012 and there was no bacteria seen. Duthing is this phase i have taken ultrasound of abdomino pelvic and everything is normal(Liver, spleen, pancreas, Kidney, Bladder, ovaries and uterus)
Later after one year on July 5 2013 , in the early morning urine i passed blood instead of urine. and the blood post urine was present for atleast 7 urines of that day. I took a CUE and Culture and yet again it was Klebsiella this time with gentamicin resistant. So the urologist prescribed me a one month antibiotic course of Cifran and Norilet. The doctor prescribed an ultrasound again of abdomino pelvic and this time aso normal impression only.

Now Since yesterday again im having the symptoms of UTI which is sever Urine burn(only at the opening) after urination only and pain in the bladder area. Symptoms are : Chills, pain in bladder area, burning in urethral opening, no vaginal discharge for the last 2 years, pain in umblical while urination, and other common symptoms like urge to urinate etc.

I'm very worried because I had just finished the one month medication on August 10 and its not a long time that these symptoms recur, should i go for a CUE and culture again? What is the main reason for the recurring UTI?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is recurrent UTI again.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have recurrent episodes of UTI over a period of last one year. and have been treated with appropriate antibiotic every time you had UTI.

It is very common in females to get repeated episodes of UTI once the infection sets in and it is equally difficult to eradicate infection of taking antibiotics as bacteria always change their flora and sensitivity pattern .

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had UTI. Pain in umbilical while urinating and severe burning in the urethral. Culture showing Klebsiella pneumoniae. Treatment? 10 minutes later

Thanks for your reply. As per the recent previous culture report im resistant to nitrofurention. I can see you have prescribed that to me. Will it be okay to consume it until the culture report is given?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not take Nitrofurantoin if it is resistant .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.
Normally culture report is available within 72 hours till then take antibiotics like Cefotaxime twice daily and switch on to appropriate antibiotics on getting the report.
Thanks and Regards.\
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor