Had Paragard copper IUD placed. Had horrible cramping and very light period with brown blood. Is it a miscarriage?
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
You have not mentioned the date of your last menstrual period, assuming you had regular cycles with the Depo.
Please let me know the dates of your cycles if possible.
Also the spotting is to be expected , instead of a proper menstrual flow, due to the withdrawal of the depo.
The cramping is also normal after insertion of the IUD.
BV can be ruled out if you do not have itching, pain or the typical fishy odour.
A miscarriage CAN be likely, and can be easily ruled out by an ultrasound scan.
I think that it is more likely that it is jelly like cervical mucus.
The mucus CAN take on a grayish hue, and if congealed and thick, it does appear jelly like in consistency.
The only confirmation would be to send the substance to a lab, but as we cant do that, we can only think of the most likely possibilities.
So to me , in order of probability, the possibilities are -
1. Normal thick cervical mucus, mixed with the blood.
2. A miscarriage.
3. Collection of old blood and tissue inside the uterus due to the long period of amenorrhoea, this is called as hematometra ( collection of old blood in the uterine cavity ).
I can think of one investigation which will clarify what it EXACTLY was.
This is a pelvic utrasound done transvaginally.
Please have that done at the earliest, and do not worry about it now, as you are not having any intense pain / fever / discomfort at present.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
With multiple negative pregnancy tests, I agree, the possibility of a miscarriage is least likely.
Frankly, more than half of the women with BV are asymptomatic, that is NO SYMPTOM at all , not even a discharge.
Amongst the other half that DO have symptoms, the commonest is a vaginal discharge, that is greyish, and has the typical fishy , unpleasant smell.
Itching and pain are not at all prerequisites for BV.
Since you do not have the characteristic odour, I did not strongly opine that BV was the cause for the typical discharge observed.
However, when you do have an appointment next time around, it would be good to get screened for it all the same.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Trying to conceive got brown blood discharge cramp stomach miscarriage
- Period due brown orange blood miscarriage
- Period cramps worse after miscarriage
- Miscarriage with iud
- Miscarriage after copper iud removal
- Brown discharge blood in urine passed blood clot cramps miscarriage
- No periods after miscarriage light brown staining concerning
- Light cramping after miscarriage
- Bad cramps clumps of blood miscarriage
- Chunky period blood miscarriage
- Suffer stomach ache, dark skin, weakness, headache and fast breathing....
- Scan report said both adexna are free and adexna means the ovary and the...
- Diagnosed with PCOS. Family history of breast cancer and ovarian cancer....
- Pregnant and sonogrphy showed blighted ovunm. Treatment?
- Got bleeding after a positive pregnancy test. What could be the reason?
- Had hysterectomy. Did errands and walking. Tummy is swollen and tight,...
- Diabetic. Have normal periods. Wanted birth control. Suggested Tubal...
- Found after conception that husband was using anabolic steroids. Could...
- What is likelihood that child will have mental retardation if mother had...
- Had intercourse after periods finished. Spotting after having...