Had PSA, prostatitis. Got low testostrone level. Any relation?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: I am 63. I had a PSA that was 6.5, normal DRE, and Moderate BPH. I had two bioposies 4 years ago negative. I told Dr. again I felt like I had prostatitis...no bacteria. He started me on Avodart and Flomax. In 1 month my level had dropped to 4.4. He said continue on for 5-6 months come back and recheck PSA. Sounded good to me.

Now, about two years ago I began testostrone replacement with low level about 220. My levels have been about 500 since on the last few checks, but this time I had the blood work in the afternoon and I was two days before my next shot. Also, I have likely been drinking to much wine the past 6 months. What is the likely culprit of my low testostrone? Any correlation between PSA, prostatitis, and low level? What should I do?
Would patch be better?? Thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Hello

Your PSA levels have shown a downward trend since last four years and your Prostate Biopsy reports are negative for malignancy. However, your recent serum testosterone levels have been reported to be lower than your previous levels in spite of you being on testosterone supplements. This is something unusual I would suggest you to check it again and in the same laboratory where you have tested your blood previously.

As regards your doubt about any relation of consuming more wine with low serum testosterone levels, I would like to state that it is not related to it at all.

Secondly, Prostatits has no relation with low serum testosterone levels as it is secreted by interstitial cells (Ledyg cells) of the testis, which are in its turn, controlled by Lutinising Hormone secreted by Pituitary Gland.

Please feel free if you have more queries I shall be pleased to address your concern. Thanks with Regards.

Dr Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 20 hours later
Thank you. If I have been taking shots of repalcement therapy every 2 weeks and my level has been around 500 why would it drop to 210 this time? I did have my blood drawn in the later afternoon and it was only two days until my next shot. Would this explain the difference?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for feedback.
As I have said earlier there is no obvious reason for your Testosterone level to go down that is reason I have suggested to repeat it considering in mind that there could be error in doing the test.You can get it done at two different laboratories for cross checking.the results. Please post the report to me so that I can confirm. I personally think that you should be more happy for your PSA levels going down and neglect one report of testosterone being lower than your previous reports-which can be corrected by taking supplement..Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli